Field School Montaione in Archaeology, Survey and Material Culture
As IRLAB prepares for the possibility of holding in-person programs for the 2023 season and beyond we ask that interested participants keep in mind the following:
- Participants are advised not to purchase intercontinental flights without having consulted the guidelines of their government and without being sure that the program will take place.
- The successful operation of any in-person program will depend upon strict adherence to safety protocols based on the most up-to-date public health information.
- Restrictions may come from any level, including international travel to local municipal regulations, meaning that the restrictions in your community may differ from those at the project location.
- Due to this level of uncertainty, in-person programs may need to be cancelled with minimal prior notice.
While we sincerely hope to get back in the field with our incredible students at new and existing sites, IRLAB must prioritize health, safety, and adherence to regulations first and foremost. Should in-person programs be offered for the 2023 season, we will be updating interested students as often as possible.
We appreciate your continued patience and understanding!
A 4-WEEKS SESSION ON JUNE-JULY 2023.
Field School in Montaione in Archaeology, Survey and Material Culture is a program offered by the Municipality of Montaione (Florence) in collaboration with the Italian Ministery of Cultural Heritage, Archaeological Association of the Val D’Elsa Fiorentina and Associazione Culturale Cetra, powered by IRLAB aimed at training students in archaeological, anthropological, historic and topographic methods and topics. It is an outstanding opportunity for students to gain knowledge in stratigraphy investigation from an immersive field course in the thermae area of a wider rural complex belonging to the Roman Republic.
The Field School Montaione in Archaeology, Survey and Material Culture is focused on the archaeological investigation of a 1st – 5th century AD Roman Thermae copmplex and welcomes students in anthropology, archeology, classic history, historical topography and allied disciplines at undergraduate and graduate levels. The Field School has no formal prerequisites. Students interested in applying to the Field School must fill out and submit the application form.
FIELD SCHOOL PROGRAM AND DATES
The school is designed to provide all attendees with an advanced knowledge of applied stratigraphy method, topographic surveys and analysis, GIS and photogrammetry, material culture and the study of the relationships between the site and the not yet discovered village it belonged to. Moreover a team of restorers will cooperate on field to save and mantaining the finds as well as to share their knowledges with students and staff to integrate all the information the site will give.
Lectures and Labs will be taken during the week by several experts, as well as weekly visit to local museums and sites will be provided by the staff.
The official language of the Summer School is English and no knowledge of Italian is required.
- Field archaeological activities including specialist labs
- Topography rudiments through the use of total station integrated to GIS
- Photogrammetry and its applications
- Material Culture study and analysis
- Burials investigation, dig and study in case of discovery
The Summer School has no formal prerequisites; students will be fully trained for all the activities they experience. Students interested in applying to the Summer School must fill out and submit the online Application Form.
The application deadline is May, 19 2023. However, applications are reviewed as soon as they are received and successful applicants accepted right away.
Curriculum vitae and/or reference letters (e-mails) may be requested. The staff reserves the right to verify any of the information reported in the application form and request supporting documentation (e.g., advising reports; references) in its sole discretion. Staff will make final decisions regarding enrolment.
Acceptance will be communicated by e-mail. Upon acceptance, students will receive detailed instructions on how to submit required documentation and payments:
• Proof of Insurance: students must have valid international health and injury insurance (made available through student travel centers) and must provide the insurance provider’s contact information, as well as the policy number, including a proof of tetanus vaccination (or booster) within the last 10 years
• Release form: all students must read and accept the terms of the IRLAB Participation Agreement to participate in the program; a signed release form must be submitted prior to the start date of the Summer School.
• Fee Payment: Students will be required to pay fees in full within 15 business days of receipt of the invoice in case of admission. In case of student withdrawal, all fees minus a non-refundable deposit of $500 will be refunded until May 19, 2023. After May 19, 2023 fees will not be refunded. In the unlikely event of course cancellation, fees will be refunded in full (any applicable processing fees may not be refunded). Failure to provide all the above-mentioned documents and payment within the terms specified at the time of admission will constitute an automatic forfeiture of the student’s place in the summer school.
Should minimum attendance requirement of 18 students not be met, course will be cancelled.
Certificate of attendance from the Sistema Museale della Val D'Elsa Fiorentina
Certificate of attendance from IRLAB
Although run independently of a specific university, participants may obtain academic credit for their participation in the program through independent study. We have a decade of experience working with students, their advisors, and administrative staff to develop customized independent study plans.
If you are interested in obtaining academic credits, please indicate your preference in your application. If you would like to obtain academic credits for the program, please consult with your advisors regarding the option to enroll in independent studies or an equivalent course at your university and having your advisor assign a grade based on our evaluation of your performance (as well as any additional requirements they may deem appropriate). If your advisor agrees to this arrangement, at the end of the program, IRLAB will send them a written evaluation and grade recommendation.
IN COLLABORATION WITH
- Antonio Alberti – Principal Investigator
- Sabrina Bartali – Excavation site coordinator
- Alessandro Costantini – Area supervisor
- Sonia Turi – Area supervisor
- Elena Funghini – Restoration supervisor
- Fabio Stratta – Responsible for the Documentation
- Jaidee Easley – Program Coordinator
- Francesco Coschino, PhD (IRLAB)
- Alessandro Cariboni (IRLAB)
- Session: July 26 – July 22, 2023*
- *according to European Covid-19 traveling standards
TUITION AND FEES
Cost: $ 2,400.00 / session
The cost listed for each session covers Field School activities (excavation practice, lectures, laboratory activities and instruments), meals (MON to FRI: breakfast, lunch and dinner), accommodation and airport pick-up service (set schedule). Additional documentation and payment processing fees (not to exceed $80/session) will be applied to the final invoice.
Discounts and Scholarships
- 5% discount for students participating in more than one IRLAB’s 2023 programs.
- Special price for returning students.
The course is open to up to 18 undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate students in archeology, anthropology or allied disciplines from any country and institution. Current enrollment in a university is not a requirement; all applications are evaluated equally and acceptance decisions are primarily based on merit.
Housing is provided by the Summer School in a shared-room dormitory 10-min walking from the excavation site.
Participants in the Summer School will be provided with breakfast, lunch and dinner from Monday to Friday.
Monday through Friday, 8:00am-6:00pm (including one hour lunch break).
Structure and Methodologies
The course will be offered in English (with optional Italian translation) in the following formats:
- Field practice
The application deadline is May 19, 2023.